Monday, February 28, 2011

BarbaWire, Feb. 28


Spartacus Saves the Oscars

Kirk Douglas was the absolute highlight of a kind of flat Academy Awards show. The 94-year-old genuinely made me laugh and should give Betty White a run for her money.
I was pretty happy with the winners. Natalie Portman deserved her best actress award for making me feel uncomfortable while watching her on let the sound of her own wheels drive her crazy for two hours. "The King’s Speech" was a remarkably good movie, so I am glad that it won best picture and that Colin Firth won best actor. I am glad I missed the Gwenyth Paltrow singing and the whole auto-tune bit. I changed the channel for the boring stuff and anything that has the potential to make me wanna gouge my eyes.
Check out Kirk Douglas here if you missed him
here.


A Hero

Frank Buckles, the last remaining U.S. veteran from World War I, died Monday in West Virginia. He was 110. The war, then known as the Great War, was fought from 1914 to 1918. Buckles enlisted at 16 and served in England and France. We salute you, sir. More.


Libya Update
The Libyans love Colonel Moammar Gadhafi, says Gadhafi in
an interview with Christiane Amanpour.They love him. And he is not killing them. The only protestors are Al Qaeda, OK? And he is never leaving Libya. Why would he?

In all seriousness, this guy is a special kind of crazy. He is so crazy, that, well, he is now drawing comparisons to Charlie Sheen. I don’t mean to trivialize the plight of the Libyan people by comparing their oppressor to a washed-up, self-indulged actor that has convinced himself that he is some sort of superior being. In fact, I am saying that Gadhafi and Sheen’s indistinguishable rants are strong indicators that this man gots to go.

Farrakhan, No. Just No.
Speaking of crazy, Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said on Sunday that he is a ride-or-die friend to Gadhafi and is not going to let some crimes against humanity stand in the way. Having said that, he thinks revolutions are about to happen all over the world, including in the U.S.
His other nuggets during his Sunday speech at a suburban Chicago event included saying that he digs Scientology because it was intended “civilize white people” and he thinks Rihanna is filthy and that people who like her are swine.
Rihanna – who cracks me up on twitter mocked the remarks about her on Monday. More.

Farrakhan’s remarks on “civilized” people reminded me of being five years old and hearing an old man make a comment about the black people in Denver being “more civilized” than elsewhere. I don’t remember him actually saying that, I only remember my mom blowing up.

@MayorEmanuel Revealed
All this time I was waiting for
@MayorEmanuel to emerge as someone from Rahm Emanuel’s campaign team or some sort of insider. Nope, it journalism professor Dan Sinker. When I was imagining the man behind the tweets, I pictured a Michael J. Fox-type from “Spin City,” not a Chicago punk/hipster. Still, the dude had an uncanny way of dropping f-bombs. Journalists are so multi-talented.

The Atlantic has a cool story about Sinker getting super paranoid on the train that some nosey lookie lou would read over his shoulder and blow his cover. More. Be sure to check out the slideshow, it has some highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment