Monday, February 14, 2011

BarbaWire, Feb. 14


Siiiiimba Blanca
This weekend four white lions made their public debut at Ouwehands Zoo in The Netherlands. The kittens – they are all under a year old – were transferred from a South African reserve and have been quarantined for several weeks. The Dutch zoo specializes in caring for endgangered species. The white lions don’t do well in nature because they can’t camouflage themselves, apparently. I want
one.
I think they would get along just fine with Riley, my roommates’ yellow lab, right?

Putting on a Price Tag
Radiohead announed Monday that it will release a new album this Saturday. However, unlike its pay what you want commie business with its 2007 release of "In Rainbows," this one is $9 for MP3s and $14 for WAVs. Still, it will likely be well worth my money. More
I was never a huge fan of Radiohead – I even lived with a major fan that had a massive poster of the British band and I would roll my eyes at it every time I walked by it. Then, I heard this and it all changed.


Strange Days in the Middle East
Hosni Mubarak, the Egyptian president that resigned his post on Friday, is reportedly in a coma at his home near the Red Sea. Mubarak traveled to the region on Thursday night. I read earlier in the day that he was in a coma in Germany, but apparently he is still in Egypt. The fallen leader is 82. They also claim that he even fainted twice during his final speech.
More
And as expected, the success in Egypt has ignited protests in other parts of the Middle East.


Say What?
Serene Branson, a CBS Los Angeles reporter, was giving a report on the Grammy Awards outside the Staples Center on Sunday when her mouth and her brain got into a massive fight. There was a lot of speculation that Branson was suffering a stroke mid broadcast. However, the station said she was examined and released and felt fine this morning. If she is in fact fine, then I can make a joke. Maybe she was just overwhelmed by
Justin Bieber’s loss? She looks like she has the Bieber Fever.

Speaking of the Grammys. My quick take from memory: Jennifer Hudson looked great; Christina Aguilera still oversings; That gospel lady is tall; Florence has soul, but is socially awkward; I am grateful to have missed Lady Gaga perform; Lady Gaga thanked Whitney Houston while looking like Madonna; Madonna kicked kittens; Bruno Mars thinks he is Jackie Wilson; Justin Bieber surprised me with his guitar skills; Jayden Smith has no talent (my dad concurs); Mumford & Sons and Avett Brothers were great, but Bob Dylan sounded awful; RiRi, ohhhh RiRi (Brooklyn is right!); Eminem refuses to smile; Katy Perry looks like a blow-up doll; Cee Lo copied Elton, but I was not offended by it; Cee Lo brought Gwyneth Paltrow to perform with him and I was offended by it; Lady Antebellum won for a song about booty calls; John Mayer stole Johnny Depp’s look; Norah Jones almost did “Jolene” justice, almost; Mick Jagger has lots of swagger still; and Arcade Fire, well, are awesome.
You can also read my real time take on it from twitter.
Twitter.com/barbawire

No comments:

Post a Comment