Monday, January 24, 2011

BarbaWire, Jan. 24



Hey Peeps!

I had a big daily story today and am just getting around to the BarbaWire.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

-B

Rahm Gone?

As of now, former White House chief-of-staff and general bad-ass Rahm Emanuel is out as candidate for mayor of Chicago. Late last year Emanuel was given the go-ahead to run, despite challenges that he was not a Chicago resident. Now, an appellate court has said he is ineligible. The case is now expected to head to the state Supreme Court, hopefully before the February election. More.


Emanuel was considered to be the frontrunner, with President Bill Clinton coming to Chicago to stump for him. Well, hell, does this mean I am going to have to actually read up on the other candidates? Does Carol Moseley Braun have a Chuck Norris-style facts website like Rahmmy? I think not.

Moscow Attacked

Terrorists carried out an attack in a Moscow airport that killed nearly three dozen people and injured 168. This is the fourth bombing in the past year and a half in Moscow, with subway bombs killing 40 people in late 2009 and a bomb on a luxury train killing 28 people in March 2010. More.

Former Facebook Prez Wishes He Was a Tool
Sean Parker, the founder of Napster and the former president of Facebook, does not like his likeness in The Social Network at all, but manages to contradict himself a bit. He calls the character a morally reprehensible human being, but then says he wishes his life was that cool. I think I would just be annoyed with having Justin Timberlake play me. Clearly, Tilda Swinton was the way to go. More.

Is There Juice in Heaven?

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne died on Sunday at 96. I liked the way his energy read through in this obituary from the LA Times. When I started reading the story I was invigorated for my workout tonight, but by the end I was exhausted. Swimming across channels of water handcuffed and shacked while pulling boats? No thanks.
Still, I am getting my second wind – probably from the sucker I just had? – and headed to the gym. I’ll do an extra set of pushups just for you, Jack. More.

Burn, Cutler, Burn


Chicago Bears’ quarterback Jay Cutler was injured in yesterday’s NFC Championship game against the Green Bay Packers. Packers won and are now headed to the Super Bowl where they will face the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Some fans are mad; think Jay should have shuck it off and finished the game. Last night on the news Brian Urlacher said people who questioned Cutler's commitment don’t understand the game. Injuries suck, but it is kind of funny to watch all those people who thought Denver was stupid for trade him burn his jerseys. More.

In related news, the New York Jets lost, but Mark Sanchez smears mocos on a teammate. Gross.

Soap Is Our Friend

Some bored college kid wore the same pair of jeans for 15 months without washing them. He then washed them and wore them again for 13 days. The jeans were swabbed for bacteria before both washes and came back about the same. I have friends that wear the same pair of jeans until they are done and then go buy a new pair, but 15 months is just plain gross.

This story reminds me of when I was working at the Gap in high school. This creepy dude came in and was looking for underwear on sale because he had a “condition” that caused him to fart a lot. Those stink bombs used to eat their way through his chonies and so he needed to replace them often. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment