Friday, January 21, 2011

BarbaWire, Jan. 21


Good afternoon, peeps!

Avid BarbaWire reader Lindsey Pounds is now engaged to Craig Liebler. Best wishes, hoosier bride!

Hope you all have a great weekend!


-B

Brrrr Down
It is cold in Chicago. But I mean like really, really cold. I just walked a block for lunch and thought my hands were going to freeze up and fall off. My dad would say “It’s colder than a two-peckered billygoat!” Which must be ironic because you would think such a creature would be, well, pretty hot. Ew.
Anyway, with our friend, the wind chill factor, it was like a bajillion below zero here last night. It is supposed to warm up to a balmy 25 degrees for Sunday’s Bears-Packers game. More.

In the meantime, I’ll just look at this slide show. Not sure if it hurts or helps.

Related: Yeah, it’s pretty. It’s called the alpenglow. You all facebooked it yesterday.

China Now Prefers Pepsi
Muhtar Kent, chief executive of Coca-Cola Co., made the U.S. look like a bunch of ugly Americans this week when he tried to toast Hu Jintao and the Chinese president’s delegation with “kanpai.” Kudos to Kent for trying to get in good with Hu. One problem. That’s Japanese.
Chinese cheers is "ganbei," pronounced gahn-bay. Kanpai must be stuck in his head from all the sake bombs he did in college. KANPAI! Or maybe that is just me.
For Kent, though, it could be worse. My family has this tradition of saying “Three Chinese Cheers” after singing Happy Birthday. “Phooey, phooey, phooey.” I am not joking. More.

In the future, perhaps Kent should engage Rush as his translator? He seems fluent?

Happy Ending Not Happy Enough
Don’t you just hate it when this happens? More.

Google-pon?
Late last year, Google tried to buy Groupon for $6 billion. Groupon turned Google down and is instead pursuing a $15 billion initial public offering. Groupon has done tremendously well by bringing deals to the masses in the Great Recession and has inspired lots and lots of knock-offs, including jdeal, a Jewish-based one that sells stuff like coupons for Kosher delis and therapy. For real.
I like Groupon. I actually have one sitting in my desk. It office is located in the same building as my gym. I actually thought about applying for a job there as a copywriter. One problem, it pays its writers $35,000 a year. Um, yeah, no thanks. I like to afford food.
Anyway, Google will not let a little thing like Groupon passing on its deal to get in on the thrifty action and is launching its own. More.

Mark My Words
The Sanchize. Why didn’t I think of that? This is a great profile about New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.
The article brings up the flack he caught for wearing a red-white-and-green mouth guard while playing for the University of Southern California. That always angered me. They were playing Notre Dame, home of the Fighting Irish! It is cool for a team’s identity to be based on one ethnicity, but not cool for a player to honor his own?
My only beef with Mark is that he stole Jamie-Lynn Sigler from Turtle. Not cool, dude.
Anyway, go Jets. More.

No comments:

Post a Comment